Avondale Methodist Episcopal Church
Builder: Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Inc. Year: 1941 Opus: 802-A No. manuals: 2 No. stops: 30 No. ranks: 13 No. pipes: 817 GREAT ORGAN 16' Bourdon 97 8' Diapason 61 8' Chimney Flute -- 8' Voix Celeste II 110 8' Cello Celeste II 110 8' Flute Celeste II 110 4' Flute -- 2 2/3' Nazard -- 2' Piccolo -- 1 3/5' Tierce -- 8' French Horn 61 8' Trumpet 61 8' Clarinet 61 8' English Horn 61 8' Vox Humana 61 8' Corno d'Amore (Syn) -- Tremolo Chimes 8' Harp (TC) -- 4' Celesta SWELL ORGAN (duplicate of Great) PEDAL ORGAN 16' Bourdon GT 8' Gedeckt GT Chimes Drum (prepared-for)
Source: Allen Kinzey
Photo Source: Jeff Scofield
Notes: The organ was originally installed in the Skinner studio in Palm Beach - just in time for the Great Depression. Rumor has it that it surfaced at the 1933 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago. From there it reportedly went to Hollins College, Hollins, VA. An Aeolian-Skinner rep had a friend at the Avondale church, so he knew that the church was looking for an organ at a good price – and the school was wanting to sell the organ. So, the church contracted with Aeolian-Skinner to move and re-install the organ. Howard Best made additions 1977-1987. The organ is in excellent condition and sounds wonderful in the room.
Organ Historical Society Database: http://database.organsociety.org/OrganDetails.php?OrganID=23601