Columbia, Missouri

Missouri Methodist Church


Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Op. 750-A (1957) - Missouri Methodist Church - Columbia, MO
 
Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Op. 750-A (1957) - Missouri Methodist Church - Columbia, MO
 
Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Op. 750-A (1957) - Missouri Methodist Church - Columbia, MO
Builder:         Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co.
   Year:         1957
   Opus:         750-A

No. manuals: 4 No. stops: 44 No. ranks: 42 No. pipes: 3,281

Specification

             GREAT ORGAN                              SWELL ORGAN
         16' Quintaden           61               16' Bourdon             73
          8' Principal           61                8' Diapason            73
          8' Gedackt             61                8' Rohrflöte           73
          8' Rohrflöte           SW                8' Salicional          73
          8' Flute Celeste       SW                8' Voix Celeste        73
          4' Octave              61                8' Flute Celeste II   134
          4' Harmonic Flute      61                8' Aeoline             73
          4' Flute Triangulaire  SW                4' Octave              73
         II  Grave Mixture      122                4' Flute Triangulaire  73
         IV  Fourniture         244                2' Flautino            61
             Cathedral Chimes    25 tubes          V  Mixture            305
                                                  16' Fagotto             73
             CHOIR ORGAN                           8' Trumpet             73
          8' Geigen              73                8' Oboe                73
          8' Concert Flute       73                8' Vox Humana          73
          8' Dulciana            73                4' Clarion             73
          4' Flute               73                   Tremulant
        III  Carillon           183
          8' Clarinet            73                   PEDAL ORGAN
             Tremulant                            32' Diapason            32
          8' Harp (TC)           --               16' Diapason            12
          4' Celesta             61 bars          16' Bourdon             32
                                                  16' Quintaten           GT
             SOLO ORGAN                           16' Echo Lieblich       SW
          8' Flauto Mirabilis    73                8' Octave              32
          8' Gamba               73                8' Bourdon             12
          8' Gamba Celeste       73                8' Quintaten           GT
          8' Tuba Mirabilis      73                8' Still Gedeckt       SW
          8' French Horn         73                4' Octave              12
          8' English Horn        73                4' Flute               12
             Tremulant                            II  Rauschquinte        64
             Chimes              GT               16' Bombarde            32
                                                  16' Fagotto             SW
                                                   8' Bombarde            12
                                                   4' Bombarde            12
                                                      Chimes              GT


Source: The Diapason

Photo Source: Craig Datz  (Please note that photo 1 is of the 1995 Colby console.)

Notes (the following information is from the church's web site):

"Occupying a prominent place in the back center of the chancel, the E. M. Skinner organ was installed when the church was built in 1930. At that time, it contained 47 ranks of pipes over five divisions. In 1957, the organ was rebuilt by the Aeolian-Skinner Company and expanded to 51 ranks. A chamber for an Antiphonal Organ was included in the building's original plans. However, due to lack of funds during the Great Depression, plans for that division were never included in the organ's original design.

"Because of a major renovation to the building and deterioration of the Aeolian-Skinner console, in 1995 a new four-manual console was purchased. The new console, which was built by R. A. Colby, Inc., of Johnson City, TN, has an exterior of oak, with the interior woodwork of black walnut. This computerized console offers 32 levels of memory, a transposer, and expanded combination action, while retaining the divisional cancels which were present on the old console. Space has been made available for future expansion of the instrument.

"The new console is movable and is actually more ornate than the original, incorporating much of the woodwork designs in the organ facade. An electronic 32-foot Bombarde was added, augmenting the depth to [the] real 32-foot Diapason. Kenneth B. Kavanaugh of Columbia completed this installation and lovingly maintains this historic instrument.

"Romantic in design, the instrument boasts a strong principal chorus, colorful flutes, heavenly strings, and a wide range of reeds, including Tuba, Trompette, French Horn, Oboe, Bassoon, English Horn, Clarinet, Vox Humana and pedal Bombarde, which can be pulled at 32 feet, 16 feet, 8 feet and 4 feet. In addition, like many instruments of this era, the organ has some percussion stops, including Celesta, Harp, Chimes and Zimbelstern, which was added in 1996 in honor of Organist Emeritus, Perry Parrigin."

Organ Historical Society Database: http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=19086