Worcester, Massachusetts

Wesley Methodist Church


Skinner organ, Op. 615 (1926) in Wesley Methodist Church (Worcester, MA)
 
Skinner organ, Op. 615 (1926) in Wesley Methodist Church (Worcester, MA)
 
Skinner organ, Op. 615 (1926) in Wesley Methodist Church (Worcester, MA)
 
Skinner organ, Op. 615 (1926) in Wesley Methodist Church (Worcester, MA)
 
Wesley Methodist Church (Worcester, MA)
 
Builder:        Skinner Organ Company
   Year:        1926
   Opus:        615
   
No. manuals:    4
No. stops:      66
No. ranks:      62
No. pipes:      4,146

Specification

             GREAT ORGAN                              SWELL ORGAN
         16' Open Diapason       61               16' Bourdon             73
          8' First Diapason      61                8' Diapason            73
          8' Second Diapason     61                8' Gedeckt             73
          8' Claribel Flute      61                8' Gamba               73
          8' Erzähler            61                8' Voix Celeste II    146
          8' String Celeste II  122                8' Flauto Dolce        73
          4' Octave              61                8' Flute Celeste (TC)  61
          4' Harmonic Flute      61                4' Octave              73
          2' Fifteenth           61                4' Violina             73
         IV  Mixture            244                4' Flute Triangulaire  73
         16' Ophicleide          61 (in Solo)      2' Flautino            61
          8' Tuba                61 (in Solo)    III  Mixture            183
          4' Clarion             61 (in Solo)     IV  Mixture            244
             Chimes              EC               16' Waldhorn            73
          8' Harp (TC)           CH                8' Cornopean           73
          4' Celesta             CH                8' Flugel Horn         73
                                                   8' Vox Humana          73
             CHOIR ORGAN                           4' Clarion             73
         16' Gamba               73                   Tremolo
          8' Open Diapason       73                
          8' Concert Flute       73                   PEDAL ORGAN
          8' Kleine Erzähler II 134               32' Diapason (resultant)--
          4' Flute               73               32' Bourdon             32
      2 2/3' Nazard              61               16' Principal           32
          2' Piccolo             61               16' Diapason            32
          8' Orchestral Oboe     73               16' Bourdon             12
          8' Clarinet            73               16' Violone             32
             Tremolo                              16' Gamba               CH
          8' Harp (TC)           --               16' Echo Bourdon        SW
          4' Celesta             61 bars           8' Octave              12
                                                   8' Gedeckt             12
             SOLO ORGAN                            8' Still Gedeckt       SW
          8' Gamba               73                4' Super Octave        12
          8' Gamba Celeste       73                4' Flute               12
          8' Orchestral Flute    73               16' Trombone            32
          8' Tuba Mirabilis      73               16' Waldhorn            SW
          8' French Horn         73                8' Tromba              12
          8' English Horn        73                4' Clarion             12
             Tremolo                                  Chimes              EC
 
             ECHO ORGAN
          8' Diapason            73
          8' Chimney Flute       73
          4' Fern Flute          73
          8' Tromba              73
          8' Vox Humana          73
             Tremolo
             Chimes              25 tubes


Source: Allen Kinzey

Notes: From the booklet for the 1999 Worcester Regional Convention: Wesley Methodist Church was a merger in 1923 of Grace Methodist and Trinity Methodist (old First Methodist Church). The Neo-Gothic building was designed by Coolidge and Carlson of Boston. The building and the new George C. Bryant Memorial Organ were dedicated on May 8, 1927.

Organist A. Leslie Jacobs collaborated with William E. Zeuch in the design of the organ. The 68-rank organ was constructed in a divided chancel arrangement, with GT/SW/CH/SO left and PD right; ANTIPH/ECHO in the rear. The Antiphonal shades opened into the left gallery through a grill. Three Echo shades opened into the tower stairwell. There were separate chimes in the Solo and Antiphonal divisions.

The Swell IV mixture was replaced in 1927 and again in 1930. It was replaced again in the 1955 rebuild supervised by G. Donald Harrison and done as 615-A and 615-B. This rebuild also included the following: Pedal – New III Mixture (on Chimes knob) and 4' Octave revoiced; Great – New 4' and 2' Principals, IV Mixture reworked with some new pipes, 16' Quintaton replaced 16' Open Diapason.

In 1970, the Berkshire Organ Co. added 6 new stops (5 replacing old stops), no other revoicing.  Most changes were in the Choir - 8' Open Diapason replaced by a II Sesquialtera, and 8' Concert Flute replaced by a Gedeckt.

Organ Historical Society Database: http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=9352