Brooklyn, New York

Church of the Holy Trinity, Episcopal


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Builder:        Skinner Organ Company
   Year:        1925
   Opus:        524
   
No. manuals:    4
No. stops:      68
No. ranks:      64
No. pipes:      4,244

Specification

             GREAT ORGAN                             SWELL ORGAN
         16' Diapason            61              16' Bourdon             73
         16' Bourdon             61               8' Diapason            73
          8' First Diapason      61               8' Gedeckt             73
          8' Second Diapason     61               8' Hohl Flute          73
          8' Claribel Flute      61               8' Quintadena          73
          8' Wald Flute          61               8' Salicional          73
          8' Viola Dolce         61               8' Voix Celeste        73
          8' Erzähler            61               8' Flauto Dolce        73
          4' Octave              61               8' Flute Celeste (TC)  61
          4' Flute               61               4' Flute Triangulaire  73
          2' Fifteenth           61               4' Gemshorn            73
         IV  Mixture            244               2' Flautino            61
          8' Trumpet             61               V  Mixture            305
             Chimes              EC              16' Posaune             73
                                                  8' Cornopean           73
             CHOIR ORGAN                          8' Corno d'Amore       73
         16' Gamba               73               8' Vox Humana          73
          8' Diapason            73               4' Clarion             73
          8' Concert Flute       73                  Tremolo
          8' Dulciana            73
          8' Unda Maris (TC)     61                  PEDAL ORGAN
          8' Viole d'Amour       73              32' Bourdon             12
          4' Flute               73              16' Diapason            32
      2 2/3' Nazard              61              16' Violone             32
          2' Piccolo             61              16' Bourdon             32
      1 3/5' Tierce              61              16' Echo Bourdon        SW
          8' English Horn        73              16' Gamba               CH
          8' Clarinet            73          10 2/3' Quint (Bourdon)     --
             Tremolo                              8' Octave              12
          8' Harp (TC)           --               8' Gedeckt             12
          4' Celesta             61 bars          8' Still Gedeckt       SW
                                                  4' Stopped Flute       12
             SOLO and ECHO ORGANS                32' Bombarde (wood)     12
          8' Gross Gedeckt       73              16' Trombone            32
          8' Gross Gamba         73              16' Posaune             SW
          8' Gamba Celeste       73               8' Tromba              12
          4' Orchestral Flute    73                  Chimes              EC
          8' Tuba Mirabilis      73 (20" wp)
          8' French Horn         73
 
          8' Chimney Flute       73
          8' Muted Viole         73
          4' Silverette          73
          8' Vox Humana          61
             Tremolo (both)
             Chimes              20 tubes

Source: Allen Kinzey

Notes: The announcement in the May 1925 of The Diapason stated:

"Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Brooklyn, has received a gift of a large and complete organ, the contract for which has been placed with the Skinner Organ Company. Louis Robert is the organist and choirmaster of the church. A campaign was launched some time ago to raise a fund of $50,000 to replace the Hutchings organ installed many years ago during the administration of Dudley Buck. Late in March, when the subscriptions had reached $37,000, a letter was received from the heirs of the late Charles J. Peabody, donor of the [Hutchings], offering to the church an organ to cost approximately $50,000, provided an equal sum be raised for its permanent maintenance, and that it be played at all times by a competent organist. Mr. Peabody, throughout his lifetime, had been active not only in his church life, but in many branches of social and educational service in Brooklyn.

"The organ is expected to be ready for use on Sept. 25 [1925]. It will follow tonally the precedents found in European cathedral instruments, having some of the famous mixtures and flutes, and will rank among the finest instruments of New York. It is said to be the first instrument in the United States to be equipped with "melody couplers," a device which will be of great importance in promoting congregational singing.  In the echo organ will be placed a "silverette" stop, a rare flute."

Built in 1860, the church, now named Church of St. Ann and the Holy Trinity, is in the affluent Brooklyn Heights area that attracted the men of Wall Street at the time. Of modified French Gothic architecture, it originally seated 1,000.

The Skinner was installed in 1925. The 32' reed with metal resonators that was scheduled for the church went instead for a school, and the church got the reed with wooden resonators that was to go to the school. The stop has a very full sound and is much larger in scale than other Skinner 32' reeds of that era.

In the early 1950's, the rector led the church in support of missions in Russia, a definite no-no in McCarthy times. When he refused to step down and the church membership supported him, the diocese closed the church in 1957. It was reopened when St. Ann's Episcopal had to leave its crumbling building down the street and took over Holy Trinity in 1969 as St. Ann and the Holy Trinity Church. A 5-manual Keates console was installed at that time, with Virgil Fox as consultant.

The stained glass windows were the first to be done in an "ensemble series" to be fabricated in the United States. The church has its own in-house studio to replace and restore stained glass windows – the only one in the United States.

Organ Historical Society Database: http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=11166