Detroit, Michigan

Central Methodist Episcopal Church


Ernest M. Skinner organ, Op. 233 (1915) in Central Methodist Episcopal Church (Detroit, MI)
 
Central Methodist Episcopal Church (Detroit, MI)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Builder:        The Ernest M. Skinner Co.
   Year:        1915
   Opus:        233
   
No. manuals:    4
No. stops:      69
No. ranks:      52
No. pipes:      3,351

Specification

            GREAT ORGAN                               SWELL ORGAN
        16' Bourdon              17 PED           16' Bourdon              73
         8' First Diapason       61                8' First Diapason       73
         8' Second Diapason      61                8' Second Diapason      73
         8' Clarabella           61                8' Clarabella           73
         8' Philomela           PED                8' Gedackt              73
         8' Erzähler             61                8' Viol d'Orchestre     73
         4' Octave               61                8' Voix Celestes        73
         4' Flute                61                8' Aeoline              73
        16' Ophicleide           SO                8' Unda Maris (TC)      61
         8' Tuba                 SO                4' Octave               73
         4' Clarion              SO                4' Flute                73
            Cathedral Chimes                       4' Violina              73
                                                   2' Flautino             61
            CHOIR ORGAN                          III  Mixture             183
        16' Gamba                73               16' Contra Posaune       73
         8' Diapason             73                8' Cornopean            73
         8' Concert Flute        73                8' Flügel Horn          73
         8' Quintadena           73                8' Vox Humana           73
         8' Kleine Erzähler II  146                   Tremolo
         8' Dulcet II           134
         4' Flute                73                   PEDAL ORGAN
         2' Piccolo              61               32' Diapason (resultant) --
         8' English Horn         73               32' Bourdon              32
         8' Clarinet             73               16' Diapason             32
            Tremolo                               16' Bourdon              12
         8' Celesta Sub (TC)     --               16' Violone              32
         4' Celesta                               16' Gamba                CH
                                                  16' Lieblich Gedackt     SW
            SOLO-ANTIPHONAL ORGAN                  8' Octave               12
         8' Philomela           PED                8' Gedackt              12
         8' Gamba                73                8' Cello                12
         8' Gamba Celesta        73                8' Still Gedackt        SW
         4' Flute                73               32' Bombarde             12
        16' Ophicleide           73               16' Ophicleide           SO
         8' Tuba Mirabilis       73               16' Posaune              SW
         8' Tuba                 12                8' Tuba                 SO
         8' French Horn          73                4' Clarion              SO
         8' Orchestral Oboe      73                   Chimes               GT
         4' Clarion              12
            Tremolo
         8' Diapason             61
         8' Cor de Nuit          61
         8' Flute Celeste        61
         8' Vox Humana           61
            Tremolo


Photo Source: "The Life & Work of Ernest M. Skinner," by Dorothy Holden, via Jonathan Bowen.

Notes: The church was founded as the First Methodist Episcopal Society in 1822. The present 1140-seat sanctuary was built in 1867 in a location considered by many to be far beyond the outskirts of town. Unlike many of the other magnificent churches up and down Woodward, this church is still going along reasonably well and currently has around 600 members.

The organ was rebuilt and enlarged by Möller in 1961 to 68 ranks, with a new console. See the OHS OPUS LIST for more details.

According to Detroit historian William M. Worden, the nave was cut apart east and west of the semi-octagonal transepts, and a section of nave on either side of the transept removed. The transept section was then moved east to join with the chancel, which remained in place. The liturgical west end was then moved east to join with the transept portion. This resulted is a significantly shorter nave and left the tower with its steeple standing alone out in the middle of the new right-of-way. That was moved on rollers while vertical, which was the amazing feat of the job.

Organ Historical Society Database: http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=22313